I am a Canadian student developer interested in programming, finance and electronics.
I write iPad, Ruby, Qt, Rust and JS apps for fun, work and homework.
I’m currently studying CS at the University of Waterloo.
These are some of my personal software projects.
- An iPad app for personal finance planning.
- A web app for visualizing long term stock market data.
- Rate With Science
- A fun web app for path finding the Wikipedia link graph.
- The Open Turing Compiler
- An LLVM-based compiler for Turing and an associated Qt-based editor.
- A fun web app for quickly finding spurious correlations in 390,000+ data sets.
- A Rust library for fast high quality syntax highlighting using Sublime Text’s grammar format.
- A ruby gem that that manipulates PNG files to create magic thumbnails.
- A Ruby command line tool for managing Git repositories.
Stuff I’ve Done
This is a list of the things I have worked on and am currently working on. It is in kind of chronological order. I will try and write down all the things I have worked on. Unfortunately I don’t remember many of the things I worked on in years gone by.
- Wrote a program that allows overlaying dots anywhere on the screen, intended to be used to provide hints for use with an eye tracker.
- Developed an algorithm for detecting the noise of lips popping fairly accurately, intended for UI control uses.
- Wrote a window hints module for Mjolnir for SE hack day.
- Started using Spacemacs and contributing many PRs, making me the #2 contributor.
- Finished the VeloType implementation for my keyboard, started practicing.
- Started learning Emacs and contributing daily to open source Emacs projects like Spacemacs.
- Participated in Hack The North and developed Handquake.
- Wrote a command line tool for Waterloo Watcard info.
- Started attending the University of Waterloo.
- Built the electronics and firmware for my DIY keyboard.
- Released IndexView on Mr. Money Mustache.
- Designed and built a custom keyboard case out of layered acrylic.
- Wrote a tool for graphing and analyzing long term market returns.
- Gave a talk at Ottawa Ruby on the Ruby Standard Library
- Used 3D printing to prototype a concept for magnetic levitation hall effect keyboard switches.
- Forked the ranger file manager to work better with OSX, creating MacRanger.
- Extended ranger file manager to support images and file icons on OSX.
- Went to the ECOO programming contest finals and came 4th (1st in region).
- Spent most of the winter finishing up and releasing my app StashLine
- Wrote a graphing program that follows all the school science rules.
- Made a program to generate function art for my math summative.
- Started work on a personal finance iPad app.
- Gave a lightning talk at Ottawa Ruby about writing Ruby Gems.
- Worked at Shopify over the summer.
- Integrated Pro into the Sublime Text editor via a plugin.
- Wrote Pro, a tool for managing Git repos.
- Won the Ottawa AppJam for my Turing Compiler and IDE, which I polished and linked together.
- Went to the ECOO programming contest finals and came 5th.
- Porting the linux program to interface with my watch (Timex DataLink) to the mac.
- Object tracking using the webcam in haxe
- Ruby data analysis framework for use in programming contests.
- Turing browser for programming class assignement.
- Google Code Jam 2011 Qualification Round.
- 3D engine in Turing for programming class.
- Bell HS map
- Base for a neural network based AI for ultimate tic-tac-toe
- Psychological research iPad app for a professor at Carleton University
- Partial data-analysis program for my EEG
2009 (Grade 8)
- iPhone app for my XML-based personal data sync and organization system.
- Ruby framework for my XML-based personal data sync and organization system.
- Ultimate tic-tac-toe Java applet.
- My science fair project on building an EEG. Won gold medal and a trip to the national science fair. http://tristan.hume.ca/distribute/Brainwaves%20(Tristan%20Hume).pdf
- Ajax and php web app for my XML-based personal data sync and organization system.
- Science fair project on Galvanic Skin Response. Won gold medal in regional science fair.
- Flash platformer with procedurally generated levels.
- Redesign of tristan.hume.ca
- Bob escape platformer, a tiling platformer written based on a flash tutorial on tiling game engines.
- Taught small course on creating web pages to Grade 4-6 kids at my school.
- Started learning to program by writing crappy websites with HTML and JS.